Operating for over 160 years, Anstruther Lifeboat Station now has both an all-weather lifeboat and an inshore lifeboat launching off the east coast of Fife. The crews have been awarded five Medals for gallantry.
This station is classed as a Discover station. Our crews from Discover stations are equally welcoming to visitors but many of these stations were built before visitors were considered. These stations normally open their boathouse doors during the summer months.
Visit the station website
A local fisherman from Anstruther has retired after 44 years service with the volunteer Anstruther Lifeboat crew.
Anstruther Lifeboat probationary crewman Stuart Hoggan is one of a number of students to undergo sea survival training within the Sea Survival Centre at the Lifeboat College at Poole that is being sponsored by Lloyd's Register Foundation (LRF).
It was a case of " the best laid plans...." when the lifeboat pagers at Anstruther activated 30 minutes ahead of a pre-planned exercise on Friday evening.
See more news for Anstruther Lifeboat Station
No events currently available
Anstruther Lifeboat Station Middle PierAnstrutherFifeKY10 3AB
Station opening times
By appointment only
Visitor contact telephone
Shop opening times
Specific crew member details for this lifeboat station are not available here at the moment.
More than 4,800 lifeboat crew members around the UK and RoI drop everything when their pagers go off, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Only 1 in 10 crew members has a professional maritime occupation. Men and women of all ages and all walks of life crew the RNLI lifeboats around our coasts and waterways.
Lifeboat name: Kingdom of Fife
Lifeboat class: Mersey
Funded by: The local appeal in Fife, the Cotton Trust, the Doctors Appeal, bequest of Dr Nora Allan, together with other gifts and legacies
Read more about the Mersey
Lifeboat name: The Rotary Centenary Queen
Lifeboat class: D class
Read more about the D class
This station was established in 1865 at the request of the local fishermen, who subscribed among themselves £60 towards the cost of the station. The Institution sent a 32’ pulling lifeboat with 10 oars, built out of a gift of £600 from a lady in Cheltenham.
In the early days there was an arrangement approved by the local committee whereby there were seven coxswains each with his own crew and all took their turn for services and exercises.
1832Silver Medal awarded to coastguard K McCulloch for saving by boat the master and two seaman of the Sloop Vine when it struck the bar at Elie Harbour and was wrecked on 6 March.
1834Gold Medal Bar awarded to coastguard Lt Henry E Randall and Silver Lifeboat to coastguard Kenneth McCulloch for rescuing the Master and six crew of the schooner Wanderer that was wrecked at Elie in a violent storm on 2 February 1833 (Lt Randall first won a gold in 1825 at Aberdeen for service to Devonan).
Silver Medals awarded to A Murray and J Mason, both coastguards, for saving by boat the master and four men of the Schooner John in difficulties in bad weather on 3 December 1833.
1865Lifeboat house built on land given by Harbour Board.
1891Water service provided.
1892District Inspector reported that in consequence of the peculiar organisation of this station which had six coxswains and full crew for the boat, it was not practicable to appoint a paid bowman.
1894Mortar was substituted for the rocket signal, the latter being considered dangerous to vessels lying in the harbour.
1897Decided to remove the mortar and supply a handbell to summon the crew.
1899There were five unpaid coxswains at this station and the men were willing for the number to be reduced to four.
1903Discontinued the practice of having several coxswains and appointed a Coxswain Superintendent.
1904New lifeboat house and slipway constructed at a cost of over £1,600.
1965HRH The Duchess of Gloucester named the station’s new Oakley class lifeboat on 28 July. The lifeboat was a gift of Dr Nora Allan and named The Doctors in memory of her father and three brothers. Dr Allan’s father and two of her brothers were doctors.
The boathouse was adapted for the new Oakley class lifeboat, carriage and tractor.
Centenary Vellum sent to station.
1991The boathouse was extended and modernised along with the slipway which was refurbished for the new Mersey class lifeboat.
Oakley class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by a Mersey.
1995Two-storey extension to the starboard side of the boathouse was constructed. This included improved crew facilities.
2003Relief lifeboat D552 Global Marine was placed on service for 12 months evaluation on 21 May 2003.
2004At the Operations Committee Meeting on 4 February 2004 and the Trustee Committee Meeting on 31 March 2004 the proposal to co-locate a D class ILB at Anstruther was discussed. The Trustee Committee resolved that a D class ILB be co-located at Anstruther.
2007For services to the Institution, former Coxswain John Murray has been honoured by Her Majesty the Queen in the recent Birthday Honours: Member, Order of the British Empire (MBE).
MEDAL RECORDFive Medals have been awarded to the men of Anstruther, one Gold and four Silver, the last being awarded in 1834.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603) and Scotland (SC037736). Charity number CHY 2678 in the Republic of Ireland | RNLI (Trading) Ltd - 1073377, RNLI (Sales) Ltd - 2202240, RNLI (Enterprises) Ltd - 1784500 and RNLI College Ltd - 7705470 are all companies registered in England and Wales at West Quay Road, Poole BH15 1HZ. Images & copyright © RNLI 2014.