Preparations are now well in hand for Ramsey lifeboat day 2012.
The day will be centred in the area around the RNLI lifeboat station on Queens Promenade, Ramsey and will run from 12.00 noon to late afternoon on Saturday August 4th. An eager lifeboat crew, assisted by their families and friends, look forward to welcoming visitors to a fun day for all the family, raising much needed funds to help our lifeboats continue saving lives at sea. The day will be rounded off with an evening’s sand racing on the beach hosted by The Manx Grass and Sand Racing Club.
RNLI Storm Force’s Stormy Stan will be making his customary guest appearance. Stormy Stan has an extra responsibility this year. Lifeboat day this year is to feature a pirate theme children’s fancy dress competition and Stormy is to be the judge.
Highlights of the day will include rescue demonstrations with Ramsey and Douglas lifeboats and the Isle of Man Coastguard; tours of the lifeboats when moored in the harbour; static displays by the Isle of Man Fire & Rescue service; Alistair the Ambulance; have a go kayaking with the Venture Centre; have a go radio controlled model boats with the Manx Model Boat Club; a steam engine; rifle range; coconut shy and bouncy castle. There will also be a scrumptious cake stall; a bottle stall; bric a brac stall; candy floss; refreshments and a sizzling barbeque.
Throughout the day Ramsey’s volunteer RNLI lifeboat crew, operations team and fundraisers will be on-hand to welcome and chat with visitors. Ramsey Ladies Lifeboat Guild once again will be in action with their annual street collection, flag day and tombola at Ramsey’s Shoprite.
An exciting evening’s beach racing with the Manx Grass and Sand Racing Club will follow from approximately 6.00 pm to around 9.00 pm.
Notes to editors
• Join us for Ramsey lifeboat day on Saturday 4th August and show your support for your local lifeboat crew. There will be photograph/filming opportunities, and also opportunities to talk with members of Ramsey RNLI crew
• Ramsey lifeboat station was established in 1829 five years after the institution itself was founded. To learn more about the lifeboat station go to www.rnli.org.uk/ramsey
• RNLB ANN & JAMES RITCHIE is a Mersey Class Lifeboat designed for the RNLI and built by FBM Ltd of Cowes. The Ann & James Ritchie arrived at Ramsey on 5th July 1991 and took up station on 12th July 1991. She was funded by the late Mrs Ann Ritchie.
• Follow Ramsey RNLI Lifeboat on Facebook.
• The RNLI’s annual running costs are over £122M – approximately £335,000 per day.
• There are over 230 RNLI lifeboat stations across the UK, Isle of Man and Ireland, which are operated by 4,800 RNLI lifeboat crew members, of which 95 per cent are volunteers.
• 5 RNLI lifeboat stations are situated in the Isle of Man.
RNLI media contacts
For more information please telephone Theresa Shammon, RNLI Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer for Ramsey RNLI Lifeboat Station on 07624 459347; or email firstname.lastname@example.org